Render the story of your design
Lumion 12 is the best version of Lumion yet, by far. With new features, a larger content library and a more intuitive experience, Lumion 12 builds on more than a decade of development for architects to inspire your creative journey from imagination to visualization.
Lumion 12’s improved scene-building workflow makes it easier and faster than ever to access the vast content library, fine-tune effects and add the right contextual elements and details to your render.
Explore the new features in Lumion 12
Architectural visualization goes beyond showing form and function. It’s about conveying emotion. Igniting a feeling. Showing how spaces affect people on a deeper level. Lumion 12 empowers you to tell a story about your design that will move and inspire.
Illuminate the life in your designs
With Lumion 12 Pro, it’s easier than ever to illuminate the atmosphere in your designs and show their most remarkable elements in their best light.
Volumetric spotlights effect (Pro only)
The new volumetric spotlight effect lets you cast a visible beam of light throughout your scene, adding atmosphere and dimension for a beautiful, cinematic ambiance.
With a wide range of applications, you can use the volumetric spotlights effect to illuminate interiors, exteriors and even pools, giving spaces more depth and realism.
The volumetric spotlights effect is the latest addition to the wide variety of lighting options available in Lumion 12, from omni lights to area and line lights, all of which you can customize based on color, brightness, shadows and much more.
Combined with Real Skies, the fog effect and atmospheric rain and snow, the new volumetric spotlights effect helps you showcase your design in an immersive context.
Light color temperature (Kelvin)
Set the mood with a new ambient light color tool. Using the Kelvin scale, which measures colors from warm (3000K) to cold (7000K), you’ll illuminate interiors with a cozy and inviting mood and create exterior lighting with a crisp and invigorating feeling.
Capture the subtle details of life
In Lumion 12, the smallest details matter. With new surface decals, license plates and a diverse content library of materials, objects, characters and nature items, you can bring your design to life with surprising detail.
Surface decals (Pro only)
Give your visualizations a touch of character, style and personality with 142 new surface decals. In just a click, you’ll transform surfaces with imperfections, wall art, exposed brick, moss, chalk drawings, paint, road markings and much more.
Combined with other features such as weathering, displacement maps and edges, you have a wide range of tools to show surface imperfections and highlight textures like never before.
From Japan to Germany. China to the United States. The new license plates in Lumion 12 help you anchor your design to a specific place with a small yet highly immersive detail. In Lumion 12, you can find a variety of license plate styles from 10 different countries as well as all 50 U.S. states.
New fine-detail nature (Pro)
With 41 new fine-detail nature items, including a range of new palms at various stages of growth, exquisitely detailed flowers, stems of grass, weeds, cattails and other small plants, you can capture the vitality of real-life landscapes.
Enjoy a simpler, more intuitive workflow
Over the years, Lumion has become widely known for its ease of use, allowing rendering to become as seamless and intuitive as possible for architects. Lumion 12 builds on this guiding principle and puts even more focus on the user experience with a simplified, fluid workflow. The entire program is faster and smoother, allowing for inspiration to drive the creative process.
Autodesk FormIt Pro
Lumion LiveSync creates a real-time connection between Lumion’s detail-rich, lifelike environments and the most popular 3D modeling and CAD programs. Now, in Lumion 12, the range of LiveSync plug-ins has been extended to include Autodesk FormIt Pro, a fluid 3D sketching environment that provides a seamless connection from concept design to BIM for less rework.
Improved OpenStreetMaps (Pro Only)
Show your design in its real-life context. Render an entire cityscape. The elevations of its terrain. And all the minor details that make up the landscape around it. The OpenStreetMaps feature takes another leap forward in Lumion 12, allowing you to better control, rotate and import the surrounding topography for your project.
Improved scene building experience
With Lumion 12, rendering is cleaner, smoother and more efficient. It’s now easier to drag and drop your 3D models, navigate the vast content library, create object collections and organize your imported models and groups of your favourite items.
Top new features in Lumion 12
- Volumetric Spotlights Effect
- Surface Decals
- Character Billboard
- New objects in the Object Library: 570 in total
- Improved Materials workflow
- LiveSync for Autodesk FormIt
- License plates (New object category)
- New objects (Lumion 12)
- New materials
- Settings – Editor Resolution
- Custom materials library
- Landscape cutter
- Improved Mass Placement workflow
- Movie Editor and Clip Editor interface update
Lumion 12: Release Notes
- Please note that Projects and models saved in version 12.0 cannot be opened in older versions of Lumion.
- Please click on the following link to see how to transfer settings, models, and Projects from older versions of Lumion:
- Knowledge Base: Lumion 12.0: Everything you need to know
Features, models and materials with the asterisk (*) character are only available in Lumion 12 Pro.
1. New Feature Highlights
1.1: Volumetric Spotlights Effect*
Architectural visualization goes beyond showing form and function. It’s about conveying emotion. Igniting a feeling. Showing how spaces affect people on a deeper level.
With Lumion 12 Pro, it’s easier than ever to illuminate the atmosphere of your designs and cast their most remarkable elements in their best light. The new Volumetric Spotlight Effect lets you cast a visible beam of light throughout your Scene, adding atmosphere and dimension for a beautiful, cinematic ambiance.
A few examples include:
- Interior lighting.
- Swimming pools and pool lighting.
- Vehicle headlights.
- Street and other public lighting.
1.2: Surface Decals*
New object type. They have their own subcategory in the main Effects Category.
Give your visualizations a touch of character with 60-70 new surface decals. In just a click, you’ll transform walls and other surfaces with everything from wall art to damage, including watermarks, exposed brick, moss, chalk drawings, paint markings, road markings, potholes, and much more.
1.3: Improved Scene building
Lumion 12 has undergone a major facelift, making it even easier and more enjoyable to turn 3D models into emotionally gripping renders. The entire program is faster and smoother, allowing for inspiration to drive the creative process.
Now, when building a peaceful, idyllic suburban neighborhood, such as for a new-build residential home design, the process of creation feels natural. It’s exciting to communicate the high-energy vibe of a city corner where you’ve designed a stylish apartment building.
With Lumion 12, rendering is cleaner, smoother, and more efficient. Helping you dive into the heart of your design while enjoying the journey along the way.
1.4: Improved animation functionality
1.4.1: Advanced Move Effect:
The interface for this effect has had a major update, so it is in line with other functionality in Lumion.
Changes and Improvements:
- Make it very easy now to set a first key or any key.
- Move keys. Use your mouse to drag keys from one point in the timeline to another.
- You can set any of the Transform properties of an Object as you do in Build Mode, with the same interface for Position, including Type-In of Position, and with Rotate, Scale with sliders (Type-In values).
- Move to the next or previous key.
- Toggle Layers on/off.
- Select an Object by its Node Icon or by one of its surfaces.
1.5 LiveSync for Autodesk FormIt
- Lumion LiveSync creates a real-time connection between Lumion’s detail-rich, lifelike environments and the most popular 3D modeling and CAD programs. When you model in your CAD software, such as AutoCAD or Revit, Lumion immediately visualizes your design choices complete with lighting, atmosphere, and other real-life conditions.Now, in Lumion 12, Lumion’s real-time rendering LiveSync plugin is available for Autodesk FormIt, a design tool often used in the early design stages. Autodesk FormIt combines intelligent automation and informed analysis with fluid 3D sketching so architects can design better buildings. By modeling in FormIt and rendering simultaneously in Lumion with the free LiveSync plugin, you’ll always enjoy high-quality visualizations that give invaluable clarity and insight into your design decisions.
Lumion LiveSync for FormIt supports Autodesk FormIt versions 2022.1 and newer and is available here:
- Download Link: Download Lumion LiveSync for Autodesk Formit
- Knowledge Base: Model import guidelines for Autodesk FormIt
1.6: License plates
Transport Category: Option to enable License Plates for pre-configured Objects in this category.
From Japan to Germany. China to the United States. The new license plates in Lumion 12 help you anchor your design to a specific place with small yet highly immersive detail. In Lumion 12, you can find a variety of license plate styles from 10 different countries as well as all 50 U.S. states.
1.7: Settings – Editor Resolution
Performance for Build Mode. Last year Lumion introduced the Proxy to help build bigger or more detailed or complex Projects. Version 12 introduces new real-time GPU upsampling technology that replaces the old editor settings except for 100% which uses Lumion native only real-time rendering.
0% Performance :: 59% Balanced :: 67% Quality :: 77% Ultra :: 100% Native